Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cracked Rear View

I demanded a little artistic tantrum with my photographer on this one. As with most Warmachine, the last thing you think about is the boiler. I mean with the likes of flame cannons and spiky fists, bombards and Earthquake hammers, how exciting would a boiler be?

And in that lies the story. "I mean, have I ever spoken about the thing with the blueberry pudding pop and the elliptical machine ?" *If you didn't get the quote, please adjourn yourself to the nearest DVD/DVR/TiVo and watch all of the ABC show 'The Middleman." I thank you.* To continue...

I have been a fan of trains and locomotives all my life. My father worked for the railroad, as did my maternal grandfather. I grew up with stories of danger and steam. My dad would often sing me ballads of 'the Wabash Cannonball,' and tell stories of Casey Jones.

What a shocker that I fell into like, then love with Warm-machine. Anyhoo, for a steam fan/addict/junkie it's important. I chose regular bitumen black, since I was painting two of the run of the mill everyday 'jacks from the battle box. If I ever get access to some of the photo etched brass steam whistles and bells, you can be sure they will be on my Warjacks too. After all, Khador is the home of over-engineering. If it's worth doing, it's worth hanging 5 tons of pig iron armor on!

I envision, as I paint more and more of the more advanced Khador warjacks, I will get more creative. How, you ask? Glad you mentioned it! In many later pictures of locos nearing the end of the steam era (never!) you will see many of the boiler housings finished with a lighter metal cladding or sheath, like these examples.
In the last example, you'll a glorious example of an engine after years of hard use. Grime, oil, dirt, rust...glorious! Why bother, you ask? It does make for an interesting variance in painting. It shows progress, evolution and change, time and hard use.

Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment