Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Finding a new Ashlynn d'Elyse (pseudo Poll)

Okay, I'd like to poll the followers of Warmachine blogs in general to help me find a proxy mini for Ashlynn d'Elyse. I am beginning to pull together the beginnings of a mercenary army. Since the repackaging of Gorten, my Searforge army is on hold, because the old rhulic boxed set is suddenly no longer available. I think Magnus is a joke, therefore I am stuck with "her."

It goes against my better judgement to play something that won't ally with Khador, but it does open up some new mercenary choices like Rhupert, Anastasia de Bray, and Capm' Sam and her Devil Dogs. I hate, hate, hate (yes, dislike) the original sculpt for her. Find it here: Original
Look, its "Stroll-through-the-park Warkaster Barbie! (teeth grinding) Okay, it's not that bad, but I don't like it.

Normally I would look over the stuff from Rackham, but their site is down and has been for many weeks; they may be gone forever. (Taking with it the unrealized awesomeness that would have been Dust:Tactics!) sniff...sob. So I checked out Reaper and found the following minis in the vein of the female swashbuckler.

Lonnia
Rhaine/Rhainie
Maria

Each has its pro's and con's. Neither has anything resembling warkaster armor. My other searches haven't turned up much at all, and I don't know of any other companies that might have anything compatible.

So, dear reader, I implore your help. If you have other ideas for a proxy mini, please let me know. If you have an opinion about which of the three I should use, please let me know that too.

8 comments:

  1. Here's exactly what you need: Dynamic Tiriel from Hasslefree. All you need is to find some way to add an arcane turbine on her back, and that's that. I mean, Ashlynn is basically a hypostasis of Joan of Arc, right? So here you go.

    http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=181

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there are two other models of her, both of her in prayer, one standing, the other of her kneeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL of these suggestions are cool, but it wasn't until I saw Maria that I said, that looks awesome. Just my opinion, but Maria would do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without a turnaround on Rhaine, it's hard to judge her, but I'd say my favoruite of your inital three would be Lonnia. All three verge more on being Privateers rather than Llaelese though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this model would make an nice Ashlynn, though she's favoring her gun instead of her sword.

    http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/shop/shop_files/img_3/IMP009_1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. You stated my opinion of Ashlynn perfectly! I've liked the idea of a Llael resistance army/Highborn Covenant army, but I really disliked her model.

    Of the models linked, I liked the first, Lonnia, best (though that might have something to do with the nice paint job the website displayed for her model). Maria was also nice, except the feather-in-the-hair thing makes her look like Pocahontas. I really couldn't see enough of Rhainie to get a good feel for the model, but from what I could tell, her face was ugly.

    Inspired by your quest, I looked through the Reaper website and found two more models that might work as a proxy; neither have the pistol, but that could be rectified.

    http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female/latest/14204#detail/14204_Lady_Acacia_Sgt

    http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female/latest/14311#detail/14311_kassandra_jb_f

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoap, another one:

    http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dark%20heaven%20legends%20female/sku-down/02725#detail/02725_Alaine_jh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool, everyone! Thank you all for your time and help. Whereas I can't say this has narrowed my quest, it has given me food for thought. I may paint up a couple, and then repost....

    ReplyDelete