Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Resurrection of Karchev

So after a week of moping and grumbling...well, and working, I finally set out to see what I could salvage. Overall, it may not be as bad as I thought. Maybe.

I posted earlier that Big K was on a P3 50mm metal base. That may have been a wash, as the weight of it certainly added to the topple factor, but spared the legs by driving the hips and upper torso straight down. The two legs buckled outward, and tore free from the hip pins, and that is where it separated. (A huge ding right down to the bare metal there.) There are further chips and dings elsewhere, the feet are not securely glued to the base anymore, and I don't know if the putty on the base will hold.

The biggest concern is how when superglue dries, it often leaves a crusty white line. Much, heck, most of the model is painted. I need to use glue, strong glue to repair, but with all the crusty lines, can I save the paint? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. It is terrible to have to do your work twice and know that the second time will never be as good as it could have been.

    Using less superglue is allways better. It helps minimize the crusty lines. Just take your time but damage to the paint is almost certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance the glue (and dings, chips) can be painted over to look like battle damage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly, possibly. The dried glue may be a bigger challenge, getting it chipped out.

    ReplyDelete